Gunnison, Col. After establishing the Paul M. Rady School of Computer Science and Engineering in partnership with the University of Colorado, Boulder, Paul (’78) and Katy Rady extend their generosity with another transformational commitment to Western Colorado University. The long-awaited and long-awaited renovation of the Mountaineer Bowl Events Complex is now in sight, thanks to the Rady family.
“The Mountaineer Bowl is a highly visible pillar of our campus and in its current state does not represent the level of excellence we aim to achieve. We hope to inspire our alumni, community, students and their families as they are attending events at Now, with the generosity of Paul and Katy, we will have a facility that matches the unique, majestic view of Mountaineer Bowl,” said Acting President Nancy Chisholm. academically, retain and graduate to very high standards and are leaders on campus. A renovated complex helps us recognize the essential role they play in our establishment.”
The Mountaineer Bowl Events Complex renovation will include:
- New 10,000 square foot media room featuring locker rooms and training rooms to accommodate women’s soccer and their visiting team opponents, scorer box, coaches boxes, broadcast booths, suites reception, a filming platform, restrooms and a concession area with lobby
- A 20,000 square foot gateway to the Mountaineer Bowl event complex which includes a new ticket office, two locker rooms and practice rooms for football game days and track and field competition use, locker rooms for officials and toilets
- Addition of an artificial grass playing surface and lighting to allow for expanded use
- New video/score board including filming platform
- Track redone to improve our men’s and women’s athletics teams
Project estimates are still being refined, but the overall cost is expected to be around $15 million.
“Understanding the important role athletics play on campus, Katy and I want to complement Western’s expanded academic program with a well-deserved enhancement to the athletic core,” said Paul Rady.
Fundraising for the project began in earnest this fall with $1 million raised before Paul and Katy engaged. Donations, including the previously raised $1 million, and a collective goal of $2-3 million will be sought. These donations, associated with Rady’s commitment, will finance this renovation project. Western will recognize donations to the Mountaineer Bowl Events Complex with naming opportunities within the catwalk facility or the press box.
Director of Athletics Miles Van Hee said: “This has been a priority project for the university and the athletic department for several years. The commitment of Paul and Katy, as well as the support of other generous mountaineers, will allow us to carry out this long-awaited project. dream, put a shovel in the ground and create a Mountaineer Bowl event complex that demonstrates our vision of championship-caliber excellence.”
Mesa Properties, builder of the recently completed 75,000 square foot LEED Gold Certified Rady Building, will begin construction on the complex this summer with the goal of opening the new Mountaineer Bowl event complex by fall 2023. Farnsworth Group is the project architect.